SPOILER ALERT!

Frigid

Frigid - J. Lynn

To be honest, I groaned a little through those first few pages of Frigid. Because thanks to that opening, I was immediately left expecting another ‘player quits playing at the attention of vulnerable, sweet, and sexually-uneducated girl’ type of story, and quite frankly, I’ve seen enough of those already in the new adult genre (and JLA’s Wait For Me was one of them). HOWVER, whilst there were hints of this in there,Frigid was also a lot more.

I liked the characters a LOT. Often at least one of the character annoys me in some way, and whilst I believe Kyler held massive potential to be one of those types of characters, the fact we also get to see his POV and the insight of what’s going on in that male head of his goes a long way to keeping him on the female readers good side. It’s also what fast helps us to understand exactly why this doesn’t fall into that abovementioned category I feared it might. Even Sydney didn’t annoy me in the slightest. She’s not stupid. She’s not naïve. She’s just in love and has spent so long trying not to let that show that she has no idea what to do with it when it seems she might finally get what she’s been craving. And her vulnerabilities and uncertainties go a long way with helping build a connection with the reader.

I loved the setting—there’s just something about snow making everything seem so cosy when snuggling up and open fires is the easiest route to staying warm. And the snow makes everything feel so bright and fresh, like everything in the world is less tainted than it actually is … (I’m getting carried away, aren’t I?).

On top of that, I loved the circumstances that threw them together—they didn’t ‘feel’ as contrite as they possibly could have but just seemed to fall into place, though maybe they still could have ‘progressed’ and figured things out even if their friends had shown up eventually.

However, I’m not so sure the side-story with the ‘psycho’s behaviour was entirely necessary to make this work—it’d have still be a pretty cool read (get it?) even without that—and I’m not convinced the motivations behind this a-holes behaviour were wholly believable, either. Just having Kyler head over to said lady’s cabin to help out and Avery jumping to the wrong conclusions without everything else thrown on top of it—maybe her racing off home and leaving an empty house for him to come back to—would have worked equally as well, and would have been a lot more believable, and actually drew away from the solid reasoning Armentrout had created for why Kyler and Sydney ended up alone together in the first place. Plus, on top of that, I felt the ending was longer than it needed to be—way too dragged out. It had already ended in my head the moment he climbed through her bedroom window and patched things up.

Anyhoo, those issues aside, the romance was sweet, the sex was HOT, and the characters were likeable and easy to connect to. And I’m glad I read it because it was time well spent.