SPOILER ALERT!

Dark Lover

Dark Lover  - J.R. Ward

Wrath, Rhage, Vishous, Phury, Zsadist, Tohrment. My initial thought was: did their mother’s not like them? That the reason for the dodgy names?

I’ll admit, I spent about the first 1/4 of the novel sniggering every time one of them entered a scene and wondering if the names’d amused the author as much as they did me. However, by the end of the novel, I’d 100% come to accept that their names were simply a part of who they are. And, although I already have my favourite, I really liked them all a lot.

I didn’t know what to expect from the novel. I’d ordered it simply because there are so many discussions revolving around the series and it bugged me that I couldn’t participate. On doing this before, I’ve been left bitterly disappointed. That most certainly wasn’t the case with Dark Lover.

Yes, Beth too easily accepts everything that happens to her: a strange ‘man’ ‘breaks into’ her apartment and she begs him for sex (of course, he obliges; he’s male, after all); she almost gets raped; she’s ogled left, right and centre (poor woman); she finds out she has some kind of vampire heritage and will transition soon; she finds out the ‘man’ who ‘broke into’ her apartment is some kind of vampire; she finds out her father just died (who she never knew anything about); a lot of terrifying s**t happens to her, yet she just takes it all in her stride and still romps around with the ‘man’ who seems to have been the catalyst for all the late oddness in her life; she turns into a vampire; she still wants sex; she’s proposed to; she accepts said proposal with little hesitation; she suddenly becomes some kind of protective warrior; she becomes queen …. okay, the list is endless.

Normally, I’d say the whole setup and Beth’s EASY-PEASY acceptance of it was way, way unbelievable … BUT … I got so darn swept up in the romance of it all and meeting the Brotherhood, I reached the end and realised I didn’t really care. It’s a great read. Only trouble now is, I’m chomping at the bit to get to book #2 and I DON’T HAVE IT!

Must rectify–immediately