Die For Me by Amy Plum

Die for Me  - Amy Plum

For some reason, Die For Me seemed to take forever to read. Not because of the book, though. Oh no! But because my crazy head insisted on messing about and, at every bit of dialogue spoken by one of the revenants, reading in a French accent. Every darn thing Vincent said sounded in my head like a bad impersonation of ‘Allo ‘Allo. O_O Yet somehow, I still managed to make him sound sexy. ;o)

More seriously, this was such an interesting book. Amy Plum took the traditional tale of zombies and placed it, not only on another level, but way up on the 33rd floor of a highrise. These were not zombies in the traditional sense–the story was way too original and unique (to anything I’ve read) for that. The only thing typical about it was the love story moulding it all together.

Yes, people, you did hear that right. Love and zombie in the same story.

To like:

Kate: I liked her character a lot. She was such a lost soul in the beginning and getting to see her metamorphosis as a character was very enjoyable. I’m also very intrigued as to the ‘connection’ she seems to be sharing with Vincent. I would be expecting some answers to that as the story progresses throughout future books.

Vincent: Sometimes he was a little too sweet but around 97.5% of the time he was pretty much perfect. Though, if you’re a lover of the ‘bad boy’ in a novel, Vincent will most likely irk you a little because the dude doesn’t seem to have a bad bone in his undead body.

The Revenants: these are Vincent’s surrounding cast and I loved every one of their individual personalities. Though my faves were deffo Jules & Ambrose. Jules was so sweet with his Casanova crushing. Ambrose was like the big brother every girl should have. And the others all bought enough individuality to the table to add even more flavour to an already full-bodied cast.

Story: As I already said, the plot is original and the entire novel is written in such a way that reading it is almost like taking a relaxing stroll along the riverside on a Sunday afternoon. No, there wasn’t really much tension in this book. But the couple occasions it was there, the altered pace to reflect it seemed pretty smooth so the reader barely even realises they’re suddenly reading fast and their gaze is flying around a room only their mind can see.

Kate’s sister: Right, let me be up front about this: I DID NOT LIKE HER! However, I am placing her amongst the ‘to like’s because I think the reader is supposed to hold her in some kind of derision, they’re supposed to consider her with distrust, they’re supposed to be put off by what appears to be a self-centred attitude. Kate’s sister pretty much bugged the heck out of me throughout the entire novel–except in her text messages. Her only saving grace was that she did seem to care about her Kate (even if she didn’t know beyond her own behaviour how to portray it more often) and it is mentioned in the ending that the transpired events had affected her enough to be drawn into her shell a little so that was something.

And onto the niggles:

Kate’s sister: Hehehe, yeah, I know she’s above but she bothered me enough that I couldn’t help but stick her down here also.

The villain: I spotted him a mile off. I like to be surprised about who the bad guy is and it was a bit ‘smack-upside-your-head’. He was also pretty stereotypical in grand finale with his banter, too.

The romance: I don’t quite get the speed at which it all unfolded. How Kate could become so obsessed with someone after only one sighting. How, after they’d spent a whole lot of time talking about ‘the walking dead’ and not very much time developing their ‘relationship’, they went from eyes meeting across a café to being in love in the time frame they did (especially as they seemed to spend more time apart than together). I’m guessing there’s an explanation for this in book 2. I mean, really, there needs to be. But as I’ve only read the first title in the series, I don’t yet have that explanation and so it still seems a little off.

And I think that’s pretty much it. Not much in the complaint department at all