Bad Taste in Boys by Carrie Harris

Bad Taste in Boys - Carrie Harris

This is quite possibly THE whackiest book I’ve read in a long time. And I found myself giggling and snorting-out-loud quite a lot even whilst questioning the craziness of the unfolding tale. But there’s no denying the story gives you lots to love about it.
I mean, there’s:
- Kate. She’s about as crazy as they come. Nerdy geek girl who isn’t quite sure of her place in school heirarchy but manages to keep herself out of the gutter most these kids get kicked to thanks to her association with a couple of the ‘cool girls’. And even though she’s a ‘part’–if only on the sidelines–of the ‘in group’, she still manages to stay pretty grounded and doesn’t lose who she is deep down. Add into that her medical issues and bumblement flaws and we have a character most teens can relate to. She makes a great narrator. I loved the authenticity of her ‘voice’.
Then there’s:
- Aaron. I mean, what’s not to love about this guy. He sounds like a dish. Acts like a dish. And has enough vulnerability of his own that you just want to find a reason to cuddle him better.
Not to mention all the supporting cast:
- Jonah. LOVED Jonah. Loved his relationship with Kate and his quirky personality. He’s so funny.
- Kiki & Rocky. (Do people really have friends with these kinds of names? LOL). I liked their interactions with Kate and also thought the odd moments of selfishness for their owns social lives made their characters more realistic.
- The teachers. Ha! Yeah … um … I guess we all have eccentric teachers we remember from senior school who we either placed on a higher pedestal than they deserved or who appeared larger and meaner and more grumpy than they probably were to the point we only remember the truly terrifying moments when we look back as adults. I could totally relate to the teachers in this book if asked to compare them to some of my own.

So why the non-five-star-rating? Well, because as much as this book could hardly be described as believable on a totally-open-minded day, there were a few aspects that pushed the boundaries of sanity and believability too far. Like the whole issue with Kate’s parents never quite seeming to know what she was doing. In fact, the lack of parents throughout this novel (apart from the odd occasion when Kate’s dad did make an appearance, thank goodness) seemed a little too convenient and out there for me to accept. And the plot (the whole teacher-student issue between pupil and science teacher, the way the kids had access to meds–???????–or the way nobody even so much as glanced out of their windows when Kate drove over somebody’s lawn, or she and her brother tackled the zombie gym teacher and drove over him a couple times without not one person noticing) was about as far-fetched as they come. HOWEVER, I still enjoyed it a LOT. It was fast paced and a whole lot of fun.