Wild Cards

WILD CARDS - Simone Elkeles

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this title from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This has in no way affected my opinion of the book.

Read Simone Elkeles, my reader buds said, check her out, you’ll love her stuff …

Well, I did it—I checked her out. Are you all happy now?

Are you happy that I loved her writing? That I loved her voice? That I fell in love with the characters and storyline and the romance of it all?

You should be.

Because some books, once you pick ‘em up, you just can’t seem to make yourself put the suckers down. And Wild Cards was DEFINITELY one of those books for me. I mean, I read this book in less than a day, and it’s been AGES since I finished a book that fast. I LOVED that it suckered me in so well and made me not give a damn about anything else that should’ve been distracting me. That kind of pull—that submersion—in a book is what I long for every time I pick a new one up. And Wild Cardsmost certainly delivered on that end.

From the very beginning, Derek is awesome, Ashtyn is awesome—I find myself liking them both, giving a damn about them both. On top of that, I’m intrigued by them, and eager to see how their lives will end up intertwining. By the end, I’d fallen madly in love with Derek, and Ashtyn had more than earned my respect. And I love that I didn’t guess exactly how closely their paths would cross until right at the moment when they did.

Which was hilarious.

In fact, I think so much of what kept me heartily reading was the exact right blend of humour mixed with romance and plot and emotion and the sport side of it. The romance made me sigh, the humour made me laugh out loud a few times, the emotion tugged at my heartstrings, the sport educated me on a culture I’m unfamiliar with (being from the UK), and the plot, with its twists and turns and surprises had me gripped right up until the very end.

I don’t really want to say any more than that. I guess I could ramble on about little bits and pieces I didpredict, and whether or not—or how—any happy endings occur, and exactly what trials each of the MC’s have to face in order to reach their end goals … but I hate spoilers so I won’t.

What I will say is that there is GREAT characterisation in this book. GREAT love matches. We had hot, hot-headed, and vulnerable beneath the tough-guy façade versus spunky, tough, and knows how to hold her own—man, what an awesome match they were.GREAT character growth. GREAT portrayals of self discovery and acceptance. And all too often in books, when characters are trying to figure out their paths and have to deal with their uncertainties and insecurities, they end up sounding like they have a bad case of MPD. Not with Wild cards—because everything about it just seemed to flow with ease, everything about just read as … natural.

In case you didn’t pick up on it, I LOVED this fantastic read. Thank GOODNESS I have more Simone Elkeles already on my Kindle to check out. ♥♥♥♥♥