What's Left of Me

What's Left of Me  - Kat Zhang

I’m not quite sure where to start with this review as What’s Left of Me is seriously not like anything else I’ve read. However, I think the best way to proceed forward is to tell you how it made me feel.

So let’s get the niggles out the way first. For ages, I couldn’t get a grasp on their situation/the world in its entirety. It took me until around 50% through to figure out that they’re most likely in the States. But it was never actually 100% stated. It’s possible the locations in the book are fictional—I wouldn’t know, being from the UK—but those were mentioned a fair bit, and even then I couldn’t get a clear handle on where they were. Though a lot of this might have had to do with the concept of the story (I’ll come to that in a mo), because I didn’t understand the why’s and wherefor’s of it. Was this a new evolutionary breed of the human race? Were they even humans? What year was it set? And if they are evolved humans, how or why did this sudden recessive soul deal begin? <<These were questions I didn’t feel were adequately answered within the book when they should have been.

How come I rated it 4 stars then, I guess you’re now wondering?

Well, the fact of the matter is, abovementioned issues aside, this book is a cracking read. The characters are great. Especially Eva—loved Eva—and Ryan—who I quite possibly loved even more. The concept—whilst parts of its execution seemed to missing—actually wowed me with its originality and uniqueness. The writing is decent. I loved how I was never confused as to whose mind exactly we were dealing with at any given time—and that must have taken some serious handling, yet it was done flawlessly. I loved how the author wasn’t afraid to make me visualise stuff that somewhat horrified me.

Most of all, I loved how I didn’t want to stop reading once I’d started.

So, yeah, I knocked a star off for the lack of clarity in there, but overall this book is an awesome tale. And I’m wholesomely eager for the next book.