Werewolves Be Damned

Werewolves Be Damned  - Stacey Kennedy

Werewolves Be Damned took me by surprise a little bit. Sure, I liked the sound of the blurb, and yup, the cover is pleasing to the eye—but I didn’t expect to enjoy it quite as much as I did. Because, whilst the beginning was a little rocky for the first couple of percent, it didn’t take long for me to connect with the characters, and to have a handle on the world Ms Kennedy had begun to build, and I very soon found myself rolling happily along for the ride.

Before I explain what I liked about it so much, let’s quickly get the yukkies out of the way. The biggest issue I had with the book had absolutely nothing to do with the story but with the writing. It’s not bad. I’m just a finicky blighter, and there were quite a few parts I felt were overwritten. And there were quite a few details that were repeated more than once, as though the author felt the need to drum it into our skulls. The bits that were overwritten? They were mostly in what I like to call the pondering paragraphs, where the MC is figuring stuff out, or trying to explain stuff to drip-feed the reader. These sections could’ve been tighter and the pace would’ve been faster—which would have made the writing more consistent throughout.

Because, in other sections, there were moments of pure brilliance in this writing. Like the fight scenes, for instance. All too often, I spend fight scenes frowning, trying to figure it out and follow, and I reach certain spots and realise I actually had NO handle on where all the involved characters were.

SO not the case with Werewolves Be Damned. Every single fight scene was nothing short of awesome. On top of those, we have the intimate—the ‘heated’—scenes.

Again, far too often in adult PNR, these end up being contrite and cheesy and my eyes start rolling around like they’re lost, at all the ridiculous dialogue asking if the other person ‘likes that?’ like the groans and writhing isn’t indication enough … wow, steering off track here.

Anyway, again, SO not a concern in Werewolves Be Damned. These scenes were placed in exactly the right spots. None of them seemed ‘convenient’ or unnatural, and those combined with the fight scenes, combined with the character development and the world building, make this into one rocking read.

And those characters I mentioned? Yeah, we get to see both Nexi’s and Kyden’s (ROAWRRR!!!!) POV, and I enjoyed that a lot. Both of them have credibility. Both of them are likeable and bondable from a reader perspective. Kyden is HOT AS HECK! It was a pleasure spending time with this duo, and I’m really looking forward to meeting with them again (because Kyden is HOT AS HECK!).

I’m also looking forward to seeing more of all the side characters. Do you think Ms Kennedy will consider giving me some airtime with a couple of those wolves if I bat my lashes enough? Worth a try, right? :P

On top of those, we also have the plot, which was great from the off. Everything was so smoothly looped together and so clearly expressed that I had no trouble following along and chasing the ‘mystery’ with them.

Not even the world building was an issue for me—and absorbing created worlds are the biggest hurdles for me in books. Rather, the world this author has given us felt fresh (to me) and solid and displayed with a clarity that tells me the author not only understands her world but knows what she’s doing when it comes to delivering it to the reader. This, aside from the kick-a$$ fight scenes, is the strongest attribute of the book, imo.

So, have I convinced you to give it a try yet?

Well, if you’re a fan of PNR with butt-booting heroines, hotness, and testosterone, you certainly should.

Because Werewolves Be Damned promises to be the start of a great series, which I believe will become a great addition to the genre.