Revenge of the Homecoming Queen

Revenge of the Homecoming Queen  - Stephanie Hale

I’ve had Revenge of the Homecoming Queen for what seems like forever on my Kindle, and only really thought to pick it up due to currently picking my next read using Random.org to help with my personal challenge goals. And, thankfully, it didn’t take me long to decide I was glad I did.

Although RotHQ has a lot of editing issues, for some reason they didn’t distract me from reading or from enjoying the insanity that was this story. Even Aspen, the MC, should have been enough to turn me away, and yet she didn’t. I mean, Aspen Brooks is pretty much what everyone hates in a character. Superficial. Shallow. Self-centred. Self-opinionated. All about me, me, meeee…… And whilst I should have been curling my lip at the critical way in which she viewed everyone, the way it was translated through her narration was so humour-filled, and scatty, and ‘oblivious’ that it only made me laugh. And I think added to that, if a reviewer is going to be honest with themselves, the actual relatability of it went a long way to accepting her. Because, seriously, anyone who claims to have never had a single critical thought about another individual based on appearance is most probably lying. So, in essence, Aspen is simply most teenagers out there, except we get to see her mind exposed, and … she occasionally opens her big mouth and tells the recipient of said thoughts that non-sugar-coated opinion of hers.

Yet, somehow the male counterpart sees only the good in this—he sees past what most everyone would probably see. Because, in all fairness, Aspen does appear to believe she’s doing some good by trying to make everyone ‘look’ better with her ‘fashion wisdom’, and it’s this which Rand watches, and interprets it as Aspen intends, and ends up slowly falling for her without her having acknowledged his existence until the homecoming queen/king results are fixed to place him in the limelight—all schemed by Aspen’s boyfriend, who (whilst he seems like a total jacka$$) recognises that Rand’s a better match for her, and is well aware how Rand feels. Kind of romantic really—even if it is all set up in a totally whacked out kind of way. (And if my description sounds convoluted and crazy, you should try reading the book).

Of course, Rand’s win isn’t the only manipulation in the voting, and when Aspen doesn’t win, she narrowly avoids being the victim of what turns into a kidnapper of homecoming queens.

Now, I’m not going to go into any more detail that this, because this gives a lot more than what it says on the tin. Not only is it a funny, romantic, quite possibly barmy story about self-discovery and acceptance of self and others, it’s also a mystery eager to be unravelled. And, without it one iota marring my enjoyment of the book, I figured it out before Aspen did. Will you?