Faking It

Faking It  - Cora Carmack

In short, Faking It is awesomeness personified, and its lead up into a tumbling and looping roller coaster of emotion was perfectly written. Just loved it—from the first paragraph to the very last.

After reading and falling in love with Ms Cormack’s first in this series, Losing It, and falling in love with Garrick, I headed into Faking It expecting another round of the same humour, and jumbled behaviour, and ditziness, etc, that made LI stand out from the rest of the NA crowd. What I hadn’t banked on getting was the emotion and sadness, and depth that Faking It delivers, alongside just the right amount of dotted-in humour to help lighten the tone when the reader needs it most, and even with the ‘daftness’ toned down, FI still has a vat-full of merit of its own.

Cade is a freakin’ awesome MC. Most of my YA/NA ‘book boyfriend’s tend to lean toward the likes of Ms McGarry’s Noah, or the Merrick Brothers in Ms Kemmerer’s work. Well, Cade is now right up there with my idea of a ‘top ranking male’ lead. He is that awesome. And the author does an amazing job of ensuring the reader connects with him and ‘feels’ for him all within the opening scene. So, from the off, we want to cuddle the dude better, to stroke everything okay, to whisper reassurances that we can fix his emotional issues. So, kudos to Ms Carmack, because her excellent portrayal of this great character is what had me hooked from round about word 3.

Yep, this is just one of those books where, not so much the opening but, the character grabs you by the shirt scruff and demands you come listen to his tale, to journey alongside him, to worry about his cause and problems. And, man, he musta been holding on pretty tight to this bird, ‘cause once he had a grip o’ me, I didn’t for one second want him to let go.

Of course, Max also goes a long way to making this story great. Because I loved her, too. Her vulnerabilities, toughness, pain, and desperate determination are apparent from the off. All too often when an author is attempting to create a character whose behaviour alters per situation, the character ends up looking like an unreliable narrator with mood swings and split personality, with no clear motivation for their whacky behaviour. SOOO not the case with Max. Just as with Cade, the portrayal of Max was nothing short of genius, and I actually felt a certain kind of awe for Ms Cormack’s writing ability as I absorbed both of these two characters and their development. This author’s writing is inspirational, for sure.

And the talent didn’t just end at the MC’s. Nope, the entire book is excellently written. Being an author myself, as well as a freelance editor, I have a seriously horrible habit of mentally editing everything I read as I go along. As a result, it’s very rare that I read an entire novel without a singular hitch to my stride. Ms Carmack’s Faking It lands itself in my pile of ‘no issues to pick at’. None at all. The plot, the character development as already mention, the side characters, the weaving, and concept (which was awesome), the telling of the story, and the writing itself—I have not a singular negative word to say about. None whatsoever. It rocked my socks that much. I mean, I have no idea how long after writingLosing It that the author wrote Faking It, but Faking It blew the first title out of the water—which is saying something, because I loved Losing It (my review). So, even just watching the development in Cora Carmack’s writing abilities alone has me majorly excited for what she might have to offer next. If you haven’t already checked out her stuff, you should. Trust me. Just don’t hold me responsible when you become hooked.