SPOILER ALERT!

Uglies

Uglies (Uglies #1) - Scott Westerfeld

Did I enjoy Uglies? Yeah, I kind of did.

Even though I did find it somewhat predictable, I still seemed happy to be reading on, to want to discover what happens and how they deal with a certain situation. But then the certain situation was a fairly unbelievable scene. Hmmm. Okay, let me try and gather my thoughts and compose them—though I warn they may turn out pretty random.

Here goes:

The entire storyline was predictable. I predicted she wouldn’t get to have the op. Predicted she’d end up where she did. That she’d end up liking it and questioning her willingness to complete her mission. That she’d be digging herself a hole the second she started lying. That something would happen to alert the ‘Specials’, and they’d show up, and someone would realise her lies, and that she’d continue lying to David and … okay, you get the picture. Nothing in the book surprised me because I pretty much saw every single bit of it coming.

BUT … I still enjoyed it. Because the built world was unique, and interesting, and written with conciseness that didn’t involve bogging down the pace of the read. I also really liked how the reader isn’t hit with all the world details in one go, but is kind of drip-fed them. Like the why of it all—because, I’ll admit, that question was forefront in my mind from the off, yet we’re not given enough details to fully understand right away. I guess some readers might find this frustrating. Not me. I quite like having some info held a hairsbreadth out of reach so I have to read on to find all the breadcrumbs.

So let’s chat a little about the characters. Tally grabs the readers empathy from the off, thanks to her having been left behind by not only her best friend, but a best friend who’s a boy that we’re subtley led to believe she has slightly stronger feelings for than he does. So we instantly feel sorry for her. Instantly want her to find him in that opening scene. And whilst we suspect he’s going to be just like all the other Pretties, we just can’t help but grab that shred of hope Tally holds that he might have stayed the same. I’ll admit, at the beginning, I found the ‘voice’ a little juvenile. But then I reminded myself of Tally’s age, and bore that in mind as I read on, and before I knew it, it was no longer an issue. Moving on to David: he’s quite an understated dude, but the reader can’t help but like him—which is a little odd considering he seems so fickle over no longer holding Shay’s hand to kissing Tally. But again, we need to remind ourselves of their age, and it becomes a little easier to swallow. And then we have Shay. She’s a cool addition to the book, her bubbliness and attitude are fun to follow. And then near the end, when we see a ‘different side to Shay’? Whilst sad, it’s also pretty hilarious.

So yeah, although Uglies was predictable, there was definitely enough in there to keep me reading. And I reckon I’ll most likely read Pretties at some point, too. :)