The Selection

The Selection  - Kiera Cass

Some books, before you’re even halfway through, you can just tell it’s one of those you’d most likely be happy to read again.

The Selection is one of those books.

Some books you start reading at lunchtime and can’t seem to stop and before you know it, it’s bedtime and you’re gutted because you have to admit defeat of the brain, and so set it down—but the minute you wake up the first thing you think of is The Book.

The Selection is one of those books.

Some books, you finish reading and then spend the next couple of hours still thinking about the characters and speculating over the path that book 2 could take.

The Selection is one of those books.

I had no idea what to expect with The Selection. I’d heard both good and bad feedback for it, but I’m always one to make up my own mind.

All weekend, I seemed to be in a bit of a reading funk. Within a few days, I’d attempted to read five different books and epic failed with every one of them.

Then I picked up The Selection.

Admittedly, I was a pessimist and assumed before I’d even read the first word that this one would also get nudged aside to my pile of DNF’s.

Well, I couldn’t have been more wrong.

From the word Go, the author pretty much had me hooked.

It takes great skill to make me connect with the MC, understand the created world, feel empathy toward her family and situation and kinda ‘get’ each of their motivations all within the first few chapters.

But on top of that, within those first few chapters, the author also made me fall in love with a male character. Within chapters!

*sigh* Aspen. *sigh*

Which only went and made it all the more harder when he behaved the way he did (even though it was done through a sense of nobility).

I don’t think an author has EVER reduced me to a snivelling wreck so early on in a book and made me care about the characters within their pages quite so early on.

So seriously? How could I not read on?

I don’t want to say too much, because I loathe spoilers and try to avoid them where possible. But what I will say is this: Yes, the main course of events were pretty predictable (maybe they’re even in the blurb—I dunno, coz I don’t read ‘em), and yes, America’s time in the Palace went pretty much how I expected. Though, one thing I will say I didn’t see coming is when a certain someone popped up out of the blue and totally and utterly threw a spanner in the works so kudos for that. J But whilst none—or most—of it was surprising, I absolutely loved following alongside America and watching exactly ‘how’ it unfolded.

And by around 50% of the book, she’d made me fall in love with not one, but two male characters to the point I’m certain I likely feel as confused as the poor MC.

*sigh* Maxon. *sigh*

Even if I did get a little mad at him for allowing the other girls time and ‘feeling’ for America when she had to listen to the tales, I still found him adorable.

Yeah, I guess I’d like to have learnt more about Maxon’s family, but the lack of that being in the book was explained. Which means we’ll likely see a lot more of that and learn way more in that department with book 2.

And talking of book 2? I sense a war coming. In fact, I sense more than one war coming—of more than one kind.

If you get a chance to read this one, you totally should. The prose flows with such simplistic ease it was no chore at all to get swept along by it. Not for one minute did I grow bored. Not for one minute did I skim. The Selection simply surprised me and wowed me, and wooed me, and … well: I simply cannot wait for the next instalment.